Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumEVC2: MiscellaneousEVC2 Q&A
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

EVC2 Q&A

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next
Quote from elmor on 2019-08-06, 00:21

Demo of the next release, will upload it soon: https://youtu.be/ohMSwZRtA8o

• I2C1 connected to ROG Crosshair VII Hero
  • I2C2 connected to ROG Strix RTX2080Ti
  • SPI1 connected to ROG Crosshair VII Hero
  • DAC1 connected to on-board SPI VCC LDO

The uP9512 on 2080Ti gets locked by the GPU on boot and can't be modified afterwards. One solution is to short the SDA or SCL pin to ground during POST so the GPU can't write it. I have a software solution in mind which could also work, will keep you updated on the progress.

Damn so It's impossible to use on my up9512ps? 

I'm very interested if you can find a software solution, also thanks for your work 🙂 

Quote from Cancretto on 2019-08-06, 12:03

The uP9512 on 2080Ti gets locked by the GPU on boot and can't be modified afterwards. One solution is to short the SDA or SCL pin to ground during POST so the GPU can't write it. I have a software solution in mind which could also work, will keep you updated on the progress.

I'm very interested if you can find a software solution, also thanks for your work 🙂 

No, it's not impossible. You just need to prevent the GPU from locking the uP9512. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_G7tWAh5ms&t=662s . In this video there are also soldering points for reference RTX2080.

Quote from elmor on 2019-08-06, 14:46
Quote from Cancretto on 2019-08-06, 12:03

No, it's not impossible. You just need to prevent the GPU from locking the uP9512. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_G7tWAh5ms&t=662s . In this video there are also soldering points for reference RTX2080.

Thanks, so basically I need to short sda and scl with a pair of tweezers before posting to avoid chip lockdown

hello,

i have some problems with the spi header.. tried with 2 asus board z390 boards and then via the spi sponge on some graphics card.
everytime this error appears

are there any settings that i miss or is the spi header borked?

regards 🙂

i had to rewrite some flashes this week and it worked on windows 7, the software isn't perfect yet but i got it to work. i had to learn the quirks of the software or it would just crash though. what i got to work was:
1) open EVC program
2) find flash
3) put in the size of the flash  (if you don't know press read to get the size)
4) press erase (sometimes it crashes the program, if an error appears press continue) then press blank check (might need to erase another time to pass blank check)
5) chose the new .rom and press program
6) press verify
7) i always closed the software after writing to flash a single time because sometimes when you write twice with the same instance it'll bug out the drivers or something and you have to restart the PC.

Make sure you soldered to the correct pins as well! they're labeled on the back of the EVC

thanks for you answer, well will try with win7..
but as soon "find flash" pressed the thing bugs out..
headings should be correct, as posted before i tried different boards and graphic cards out.

There are some fixes coming for the SPI Flashing. I found that the error above where it's reading all 0x00 can happen on some Asus boards due to the CS/WP/HLDn lines being pulled down by the board. You can try checking the CS/WP/HLDn 3.3V Push-Pull option to have higher drive strength on those GPIOs.

Short Question about the Pin-layout of the SPI cables
On the MB i try to flash there is an Arrow on every 8 pin chip
On the black cables gladly there is an Arrow too
But i can't seem to find any public explanation for the SOIC Clip to SIP Pinnout
(found out the Red one is the indicator)
Is the Arrow now indicating towards the VCC or towards the GND pin 😀

Likely would find it after exploring how those bios/flash chips are pinned out
But it wouldn't be bad to have it as a public document or tiny instruction card for the next delivered EVC2's
(what exactly on which orientation to connect) ^^#

Also,
Does the SOIC clip provide any power towards the chip, or does the board need some kind of power delivery attached ?
^ same question goes for those provided 9+x pin headers for supported boards / i couldn't get a successful readout so far without attached power
(bit problematic with only 1 psu / 2nd "pc" is on UNIX/macOS) ^^#

Quote from Veii on 2019-09-11, 17:33

Short Question about the Pin-layout of the SPI cables
On the MB i try to flash there is an Arrow on every 8 pin chip
On the black cables gladly there is an Arrow too
But i can't seem to find any public explanation for the SOIC Clip to SIP Pinnout
(found out the Red one is the indicator)
Is the Arrow now indicating towards the VCC or towards the GND pin 😀

Likely would find it after exploring how those bios/flash chips are pinned out
But it wouldn't be bad to have it as a public document or tiny instruction card for the next delivered EVC2's
(what exactly on which orientation to connect) ^^#

Also,
Does the SOIC clip provide any power towards the chip, or does the board need some kind of power delivery attached ?
^ same question goes for those provided 9+x pin headers for supported boards / i couldn't get a successful readout so far without attached power
(bit problematic with only 1 psu / 2nd "pc" is on UNIX/macOS) ^^#

I need to provide at least some online documentation for this.

The red wire indicates pin #1, similarly on the ICs the arrow indicates pin#1. On the EVC2 the SPI header pin#1 is CSn (marked on the back-side, "inwards" on the PCB). Similarly pin#1 on most SPI flash parts is CSn, opposite of pin #8 which is VCC.

By default there's no SPI power provided, but it will be enabled if you press Auto-detect and no voltage is detected on the SPI Vcc pin. You can also manually set it using the options.

I'll also release a new software version today which is much better at detecting devices.

Veii has reacted to this post.
Veii
Quote from Luc Salmon on 2019-08-31, 19:36

i had to rewrite some flashes this week and it worked on windows 7, the software isn't perfect yet but i got it to work. i had to learn the quirks of the software or it would just crash though. what i got to work was:
1) open EVC program
2) find flash
3) put in the size of the flash  (if you don't know press read to get the size)
4) press erase (sometimes it crashes the program, if an error appears press continue) then press blank check (might need to erase another time to pass blank check)
5) chose the new .rom and press program
6) press verify
7) i always closed the software after writing to flash a single time because sometimes when you write twice with the same instance it'll bug out the drivers or something and you have to restart the PC.

Make sure you soldered to the correct pins as well! they're labeled on the back of the EVC

Quote from NMKR on 2019-08-31, 20:00

thanks for you answer, well will try with win7..
but as soon "find flash" pressed the thing bugs out..
headings should be correct, as posted before i tried different boards and graphic cards out.

Can you two test this with the latest software 1.0.1.0 and see if things are improved? https://elmorlabs.com/index.php/forum/topic/evc2-beta-software/#postid-36

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next